With such unprecedented times this year, you or your child’s back to school routine might look very different in Fall 2020. Whether you’re starting this school year learning online or in-person, it is so important to create a new routine that will not only benefit your diabetes management, but also help your overall health, wellness and sanity.
From healthy food choices to exercise, here are a few tips and tricks to help kick-start a new school year routine.
- Eat a Filling Breakfast – you always hear that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Be sure to fill your body with healthy nutrients in the morning – think protein and fruits. This will not only help stabilize your blood glucose levels, but also keep your mind and body feeling energized throughout the day.
- Create a Supplies Box – keep all of your diabetes needs handy. From your meter, to extra test strips and pen needles, having everything readily available for you to grab when you’re in need will help minimize stress when you need to check your blood glucose in the middle of the day.
- Take Breaks! – Be sure to take 15 minute breaks every hour or two throughout the day. Whether you use this time to stretch, go to the bathroom, check your BGL, or eat a snack – make sure to set time aside for yourself.
- Exercise – Even though most of us will be starting this school year off at home, that does not mean that exercise is no longer a priority! Be sure to give yourself time in the day to get your steps in and raise your heart rate. It has been proven that exercise can help stabilize blood glucose levels over time.
- Communicate With Your Teachers – Just like if you were feeling low or high in your school classroom, it is important to have an open line of communication with your school staff and teachers. Keep them in the know when you’re not feeling well, take a break, and re-enter the lesson when you are able to concentrate!
With so many unknowns for the future, it is crucial to be prepared and make your current situation a positive and healthy one! Remember to keep Transcend Glucose Gels close by for 15g of fast-acting glucose when you need it most. Before you know it, your new routine will feel good!
Want to become a #TranscendWarrior? Fill out our Transcend Warrior form to share your story and get featured on our social media!