I was misdiagnosed as type 2 after my first DKA in 2013. I followed a strict low-carb, high-protein diet and lost 100 pounds. I had a 2nd DKA in December of 2017 and was finally diagnosed correctly after a GAD test was conducted. Taking 5+ injections a day doesn’t bother me and as crazy as it may sound I am grateful for each one until a cure is found!
My Health Details
- Type of Diabetes:Type 1
- Low blood sugar instances per week:4-5 Instances
- Daily number of times checking blood sugar:4-6 times/day
- Managing Diabetes with:Pen Needles
- What age were you diagnosed with diabetes?16+
- How long does it typically take you to come up when you are low?Under 1 hour
Do you have a diabetic hero that you look up to? If so, who and why?
All diabetics are heroes in my book. We all show strength, discipline, and perseverance and rely on each other!!
What is your biggest challenge with diabetes?
As a newly diagnosed T1D, I am still navigating and learning how different foods effect me. I am also figuring out how exercise and stress change my glucose levels at different times.
What have you learned from your experiences with diabetes?
I have learned just how strong I am. It has also taught me self-discipline and to rely on others when I need to!