I have been a type 1 diabetic for almost 30 years now. My mom managed it until she died when I was 15. It’s been rough. I’ve been hospitalized more times than I ever wanted to be. Finally after the past couple years, it has gotten better. I’m now on a pump. My partner helped me so much getting things under control. I don’t know where I would be if it wasn’t for her. I work at a hospital as a medical assistant and it’s hard being so busy during the day and dealing with diabetes but working in the medical field I want to get things under control and live a healthy life!
My Health Details
- Type of Diabetes:Type 1
- Low blood sugar instances per week:4-5 Instances
- Daily number of times checking blood sugar:1-3 times/day
- Managing Diabetes with:Insulin Pump
- What age were you diagnosed with diabetes?0-5
- How long does it typically take you to come up when you are low?Under 1 hour
Do you have a diabetic hero that you look up to? If so, who and why?
Probably would have to say the Jonas brother who is also type 1. He shows me you can do anything you dream of and still beat diabetes butt!
What is your biggest challenge with diabetes?
What have you learned from your experiences with diabetes?
That you can do anything you put your mind to and don’t let this disease stop you from reaching for your dreams!