Finn was diagnosed at age three, so the thought of sending him to school the next year was a major struggle for me as a parent. It amazed me how much he himself knew about his care at just 4 years old. He was a real trooper. His teacher was great as well and went to a training class for diabetes care. He is now in first grade and we have had a wonderful school experience.
My Health Details
- Type of Diabetes:Type 1
- Low blood sugar instances per week:6+ Instances
- Daily number of times checking blood sugar:1-3 times/day
- Managing Diabetes with:Insulin Pump
- What age were you diagnosed with diabetes?0-5
- How long does it typically take you to come up when you are low?Under 1 hour
What is your biggest challenge with diabetes?
The biggest challenge that we face would probably have to be nighttime lows. He does not wake up on his own, but thanks to his Dexcom G6 we are alerted. We find that eating at events where nutrition info is not available is a challenge as well. He is a little warrior though, and he faces each day with a smile!