Diabetes and school do not go well together. I have had many instances where I struggled to get my work done because my sugar was either too high or too low. I am a recent college graduate who spent many days fighting through blood sugar fluctuations. I remember one specific week where I was prescribed prednisone, which is a steroid, and a side affect is high blood sugar. I struggled to focus and I was easily agitated. In the end, I never let my diabetes stop me from accomplishing my academic goals. It’s not always easy, diabetes makes it harder, but I realize that and I feel so much more proud of myself for all that I have accomplished.
My Health Details
- Type of Diabetes:Type 1
- Low blood sugar instances per week:1-3 Instances
- Daily number of times checking blood sugar:4-6 times/day
- Managing Diabetes with:Insulin Shots
- What age were you diagnosed with diabetes?6-10
- How long does it typically take you to come up when you are low?15 minutes
What is your biggest challenge with diabetes?
My biggest challenge with diabetes is trying to lose weight. I have exercised regularly my entire life, but I still have a little stomach.
What have you learned from your experiences with diabetes?
I have learned that I am stronger than I could ever imagine.