I try not to let this disease stop me. Shortly after my diagnosis, a year ago to the day tomorrow, I signed up to complete a series of 5Ks. I’m determined to not let this disease limit me, but instead, open more doors than I had before. Right now, my goal is to run a full 5k. Long term would be to work up to a marathon.
My Health Details
- Type of Diabetes:Type 1
- Low blood sugar instances per week:6+ Instances
- Daily number of times checking blood sugar:1-3 times/day
- Managing Diabetes with:Insulin Shots
- What age were you diagnosed with diabetes?16+
- How long does it typically take you to come up when you are low?1-2 hours
Do you have a diabetic hero that you look up to? If so, who and why?
I follow a few people on Instagram that help me stay motivated like t1d_chick and Insulinthot. They always keep things “real” and show the reality of life with T1D, even the bad side, but continually give advice to help others with this disease.
What is your biggest challenge with diabetes?
Figuring out my insulin needs when being active/overcoming a low.
What have you learned from your experiences with diabetes?
I have learned to listen to my body, nourish it, and that tomorrow is a new day.