When my son was first diagnosed, about 2 months later we were traveling home from the children’s hospital, which is about 3 hours from home, and he had a low – we had no idea what so ever. His Dexcom started going off and we had to try to find a gas station to go to off the interstate which were few and far between to get him a juice to bring his sugar up.
My Health Details
- Type of Diabetes:Type 1
- Low blood sugar instances per week:6+ Instances
- Daily number of times checking blood sugar:4-6 times/day
- Managing Diabetes with:Insulin Shots
- What age were you diagnosed with diabetes?0-5
- How long does it typically take you to come up when you are low?Under 1 hour
Do you have a diabetic hero that you look up to? If so, who and why?
My diabetic hero is my son he’s 2 and rocks the diabetes journey.
What is your biggest challenge with diabetes?
Managing sugar when your child doesn’t know he has to eat the carbs. You have to dose him after he eats and can’t get a head start on it.
What have you learned from your experiences with diabetes?
Don’t let diabetes control your child or places you go. He can go anywhere and do anything it just takes a little more planning.